2005-01-22

Almost time to head home

Another update, I doubt I will get this finished in time to send off before I arrive in Australia but here go... after all it's only 1 am. (Sat 22 Jan)

I have three full days left in Singapore, it's surprising that time has gone by so quickly, and not at all surprising what I've managed to do. I manage to get the poster in time, and I didn't manage to track down the med students friends of mine (2 of them). It's hard to get hold of a Singaporean at the best of times, or maybe they're just hiding from me... *shrugs*

As for the poster, I thought it was to be presented on Monday, so Johann was working on it until about 6:30 am Sunday, I woke up hours later continued with it and went over to Queensway at night where it was to be printed. I continued work while seated at McDonalds as I waiting for Johann to show up.

He made some more changes when he arrived an hour later. We had a final version ready to print at 8:45 pm or so, it was supposed to take half an hour to print, and the place closes at 9 pm...

Soon after I placed the order, one of the workers there said "A1?" at which point a few people started moving around getting ready for it, a bit of a worry, a little while later they came to me asking if I can collect the poster tomorrow as they were having some trouble with the printers.

They wanted to do it by noon, but a few minutes later they said it was okay, they got it working again, kind of.. I hear murmuring that I should return tomorrow, but in the end they got it printed, it was strange seeing the whole shopping centre shut expect for these four guys scurrying around getting my poster printed. It did end up taking half an hour and once it was done I found the whole thing had a strange green tint, but given how late it was, I didn't really care, it was done, I had my poster and things were going to be okay. The next day at the conference I found out I got the dates wrong, I actually had a spare day.

Johann's poster was to be presented on Thursday, so true to form we were working at uni till 8, when we ran off to get a taxi to Queensway. We got there and continued working in McDonalds and we had some strange issues with acrobat on his laptop. We transfered his powerpoint file to my mac, I opened it up converted it to a pdf and passed it back to him to check before taking it over to be printed.. Ah computers...

We did learn from our previous experience and we got to the printers a full 25 minutes before the place was closed.. (10 pm on a weekday). It came out more or less correctly that time.


[Actual submission date: 2005-02-14]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home